Daily Star logoSports



Bacolod City, Philippines Saturday, October 15, 2016
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

 


Ceres FC ready to
apply for PFL license

Bacolod City-based Ceres-La Salle Football Club is ready to apply for a Philippines Football League license that will allow the club to participate in its tournament, which will replace the United Football League as an AFC qualifying event.

Ceres club administrator Nicolas Golez said they will apply for a PFL license and comply with all its requirements in order to compete in a tournament that will give the club a chance to represent the country in the Asian Football Confederation.

But while they are willing to join the PFL and ready to compete under the new league, Golez said the PFF needs to address some gray areas in its proposal before proceeding with the tournament.

“The marketing and sponsorship were not finalized yet. The composition of the six teams needed to start with the new league are not there yet,” Golez said.

In a media briefing of the PFL, PFF General Secretary Edwin Gastanes admitted that not a single club has come forward to apply for the PFL but several have expressed their interest.

With their target date to start on the last week of March or first week of April next year, Gastanes said all interested clubs have until December 31, 2016 to apply for a license.

Gastanes stressed that an applicant club needs to comply with the mandatory requirement in league licensing such as having a home stadium. The PFL, he said, will have a home-an-away format.

The club also needs to submit a financial plan to determine its capability of funding its participation in the league.

“This (PFL) is not a developmental league but a professional league. You have to compute on how much you are going to spend and how much you are going to get in return,” Gastanes said, adding that the clubs will have their share in the broadcast revenues and sponsorships.

“Those who will apply should be serious about it. We will help them find sponsors as we know that without sponsors this (new league) will die. If that is the case, then we are going back to amateur leagues,” Gastanes added.

With the UFL's broadcast contract with TV 5 ending this year, he said there will be no more UFL and the PFF has tapped its president. Randy Roxas, to be part of the PFL task force.*NAB

 

 

back to top

Sports

Button Ceres FC ready to apply for PFL license
Button NOPSSCEA competitions proceed amidst NIRAA doubts
Button PHL dragon boat team to see action in China