Daily Star logoNegros Oriental



Dumaguete City, Philippines Thursday, January 12, 2017
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

 

IN NEG. OR.
13,127 surrender
under ‘TokHang'

There were 13,127 self-confessed drug pushers and drug users who voluntarily surrendered to the police in Negros Oriental since July 1, under the massive anti-illegal drugs campaign Project Double Barrel.

Also known as Oplan TokHang, the anti-illegal drugs campaign in Negros Oriental also resulted in about 17 perceived extrajudicial killings (EJKs) of alleged drug personalities.

The latest accomplishment report of the Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office as of Tuesday showed that of the 13,127 surrenderers, 12,195 were drug users while 932 were pushers.

Sibulan town topped the list of the 10 areas with the highest number of surrenders at 1,146 (eight pushers and 1,146 users), followed by Guihulngan City with 1,056 (105/951), Tanjay City 1,030 (131/899), Sta. Catalina 855 (89/766), Bayawan City 846 (85/761), Bais City 842 (99/743), Siaton 659 (14/645), Canlaon City 626 (15/611), Mabinay with 609 (or 29 pushers and 580 users), and, Bacong with 593 surrenders (with five pushers and 588 users).

Dumaguete City has 511 surrenders with 61 pushers and 450 users, while Basay, the farthest town in the south, had the least number of surrenders at 115, with seven pushers and 108 users, the police report showed.

Other areas with their surrenders are Amlan, 316 (10 pushers and 306 users), Ayungon 303 (53/250), Bindoy 213 (40/173), Dauin one pusher and 508 users, Jimalalud 331 (7/324), La Libertad 416 (21/395), Manjuyod 130 (7/123), Pamplona 292 (14/278 users), San Jose 400 (4/396), Tayasan 228 (84/144), Valencia 536 (21/515), Vallehermoso 286 (11/275), and Zamboanguita with 279 surrenders or 11 pushers and 268 users.

Senior Supt. Henry Biñas, acting NORPPO director, yesterday said the police will continue to encourage pushers and users to voluntarily turn themselves in for documentation purposes.

He added the next step for the police this year is to start clearing the barangays of suspected drug personalities. This will be done in cooperation with the barangay captains, he explained.

He said some barangays in Negros Oriental have already been identified as subjects for clearing operations.

Biñas also revealed that due to relentless operations under Oplan TokHang, the supply of shabu in the local market has dwindled over the past months.

This, in turn, has resulted to the increase in the prices of shabu out in the streets, he added.

He admitted, though, that there are still some people who persist in engaging in the illegal drugs trade despite warnings from the police.

On EJKs, he said that while the local Commission on Human Rights may have reported at least 17 cases, police records show there could be more than that although his office is still collating data from last year.

Biñas, however, assured that not a single policeman in the province is involved or has been accused of participation in these supposed EJKs.*PNA

 

back to top

Negros Oriental
Button NOPH gets oxygen generating plant
Button DENR sets meetings on diving fees
Button
Park project in Tanjay opposed
Button
13,127 surrender under ‘TokHang'