Daily Star logoNegros Oriental



Dumaguete City, Philippines Monday, March 20, 2017
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events
 

NPAs should stop
attacks to attain peace

MANILA – If they are really sincere in resuming peace negotiations, then the New People's Army rebels should stop making unprovoked attacks against civilian and military targets.

“If the NPAs are really sincere and one with the National Democratic Front in their intent to resume the talks with government, they should start manifesting their intention by putting a stop to their terroristic activities which continue to harm our citizens and halt development in the communities,” Armed Forces of the Philippines public affairs office chief, Col. Edgard Arevalo, said yesterday.

He made this statement as insurgents continue to conduct arson and harassment attacks against legitimate business operators and government troops despite the announcement of the Government of the Philippines and NDF pronouncement on restarting peace talks in The Netherlands.

Several NPA arson attacks were recorded by the AFP last week, including the torching of a commercial transport bus in Makilala, North Cotabato March 13, and the gutting of a delivery van owned by Fighter Wine Company in San Fernando, Bukidnon, the same day.

Other incidents of harassment included the series of NPA attacks in Barangay Hinimbangan, Kitcharao in Agusan Del Norte which displaced 89 families March 15.

“While the AFP sees that the NDF continues to push for the resumption of the peace negotiations, it is clear that they are also losing hold of their men on the ground. The NPA, with their twisted ideals, are attacking innocent civilians, extorting money, or burning private properties,” Arevalo stressed.

The NPAs have already conducted 62 terroristic activities since the start of the year.

These include abduction, burning or arson, extortion, ambush and harassment against both civilians and military members.

“On our part, we will continue to conduct combat operations against the terrorist NPAs until we receive an official communication from the Office of the President suspending the all-out war. Our surgical, deliberate, and intelligence-driven operations have, so far, resulted to the neutralization of 129 NPAs; of which, 23 were killed, 19 were arrested, and 87 surrendered,” Arevalo said.

“The operations against the NPA already yielded 83 firearms from the rebels; 22 were surrendered while 61 were recovered during operations. The casualties on our side are now at 53, of which 14 were killed in action, 36 were wounded, and three were abducted,” he added.*PNA

 

back to top

Negros Oriental
Button Dumaguete cops visit 2 ‘drug hot spot' brgys
Button Bayawan to hold quake drill March 24
Button
Duterte can't stop China's plan in shoal
Button
NPAs should stop attacks to attain peace