Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Wednesday, July 11, 2018
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

NHA acquires resettlement site
BY JUANCHO GALLARDE

 

After the tenancy issue on the property was resolved recently, the National Housing Authority is finally the owner of the more than 3-hectare lot it acquired in 2011 as a resettlement site for victims of typhoon Sendong in Dumaguete City.

Armed with the order from the Department of Agrarian Reform Adjudication Board, representatives from the NHA, City Legal Office, City Engineer’s Office, City Social Welfare Office, the contractor, the police, and some lawyer-members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod recently trooped to the site in Barangay Banilad and started clearing the area of coconut trees.

Land development was supposed to be undertaken by PhilSouth, but due to the possible resistance from a number of families presently occupying the property, Dumaguete Mayor Felipe Remollo organized the team to enter the property equipped with heavy equipment and started toppling down about 70 coconut trees, and fenced the area.

Remollo said the DARAB judgment was final and executory with the land title already in the name of NHA after it brought the property for P25 million.

Due to resistance from a number of families who claim to be the original owners, however, the NHA has to wait for the final decision.

Records will show that a certain Rogelio Linaban is the only legitimate tenant, but when it was sold by the Tale family to NHA, several others took control of the property.

In the judgment, Linaban was entitled to a P200,000 disturbance compensation for planting the coconut and mango trees, to be received by his heirs after his death.

Remollo said the property had been converted from agricultural to residential and that there is a permit from the Philippine Coconut Authority for the cutting of the coconut trees.

The housing site is designed to accommodate about 300 families left homeless by typhoon Sendong and are temporarily residing in private lots in Junob, Balugo and other barangays.

The mayor said that if no action is taken this year, the fund for the development of the land will go back to the national treasury.*JG

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonLet’s accelerate growth in Bacolod, mayor urges
ButtonSugar imports to ease prices
ButtonCall center agent dies in Silay road accident
ButtonCenro sets hearing on tree-cutting
ButtonConCom adds provision, bars Duterte re-election
ButtonAustralia giving Negros P40M in disaster resilient classrooms
ButtonNHA acquires resettlement site
Button‘ETCS 1 to get new name soon’
ButtonDumaguete gets firetruck
ButtonWorld champs eyeing European Grand Prix