Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Friday, September 14, 2018
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

Boycott finally lifted
Coke buying 6 million bags of PH sugar
BY CARLA P. GOMEZ

 

Sugar leaders lifted the boycott on Coca-Cola products after the beverage firm yesterday committed to support the Philippine sugar industry and buy six million bags of domestic sugar this crop year.

With this commitment, the impasse between Coke and the sugar industry effectively ends, and the boycott launched against Coke is lifted, Enrique Rojas, president of the National Federation of Sugarcane Planters, and Francis dela Rama, president of the Confederation of Sugar Producers Associations, said.

"Coke reiterated its support for the sugar industry by committing to buy local sugar," Rojas said, adding "Let bygones be bygones. Our relationship with Coke is now back to normal”.

"The sugar industry and Coca-Cola Philippines are looking forward to working together for the mutual benefit of both parties," dela Rama said.

"We have agreed to help each other and we assured Coke officials of stable supply of domestic sugar," he added.

The Coke commitment was relayed by Coke officials in a meeting yesterday afternoon with the sugar industry leaders at the Coca-Cola Philippines main office in Manila. 

The Coca-Cola Philippines officials present were Winn Everhart – president and general manager, Ricardo Reis – technical director, and Jonah de Lumen-Pernia – public affairs and communications director.

Sugar industry stakeholders last year declared a boycott of Coca-Cola in protest against the firm’s large importation of high fructose corn syrup used as a substitute for domestic sugar in its products.

The sale of Coke during the MassKara, Panaad and other festivals in Negros Occidental was also banned.

Meanwhile, Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol, who met with the Sugar Regulatory Administration Board yesterday, said they have no definitive position on the proposal of the country’s economic managers to import sugar because they need to see their proposed executive order.

Piñol said he will meet with the sugar industry stakeholders on Tuesday.

“We agreed that there will be no importation if there is no sugar shortage,” Sugar Board Member Roland Beltran also said.

“We are closely monitoring the production, demand and prices, among others, and will act accordingly as the need arises,” he added.

The milling season has barely started so it is still premature to state that there will be a shortage, he said, pointing out that 200,000 MT of sugar has just been imported.*CPG

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonBoycott finally lifted
ButtonNeg. Occ. crime rate down 66%
ButtonStiffer penalties sought vs. boxing at SP session
ButtonP83M shabu seized in Negros
ButtonSome boats cancel trips
ButtonPlane crash report false alarm
Button1,447 sea travelers stranded in NegOr
ButtonPalermo joining Bing’s group
Button‘4,642 animal bite cases in Bacolod’
ButtonNAMFed hits fund collection
ButtonMiss Earth Malaysia in EB Magalona
ButtonFU student oratorical champion