A 13-year-old boy from Barangay Handumanan, Bacolod City, succumbed to suspected dengue last month and was the first reported victim of the disease in the city this year.
Dr. Grace Tan, Environmental Sanitation Division head of the City Health Office, yesterday said there were 201 dengue cases in Bacolod City from January 1 to February 2, or an increase of 121 percent compared to the same period last year.
Tan said Barangay Handumanan had 17 reported dengue cases followed by Tangub and Estefania with 15 cases each, Pahanocoy and Singcang-Airport with 14 cases each, Mansilingan – 13, Granada – 12, Sum-ag and Mandalagan with 10 cases each, and Bata and Taculing with 9 cases each.
Tan said they are appealing to the public to search and destroy probable breeding and nesting places of mosquitoes in their vicinity.
“Let us not wait for the local government to go to our areas to address the problem considering the huge population of Bacolod City. The number of dengue cases has been predicted to go up this year if we do not do something on our end,” she said.
City Health Officer Dr. Carmela Gensoli said they expect the cases of dengue to increase this year based on their previous data. They have observed that the cases of dengue increases every three years.
Meanwhile, Tan said the 13-year-old victim from Handumanan had fever for one day and was admitted to a hospital. He died on the second week of January.*
back to top