Labor leader Wennie Sancho slammed the Department of Labor and Employment Region 6 for its lack of action on reports about Chinese workers in Western Visayas.
Sancho, labor representative to the Regional Tripartite Wages and Productivity Board in Western Visayas, said yesterday he already brought this matter to the Board during their meeting last month, but the regional office of DOLE seemed to turn a blind eye to the issue.
He said the labor sector asked DOLE Region 6 to investigate the allegations that a number of workers from China are already working in some private power plants in Panay Island and in Boracay, “but there’s no action from the agency until now,” Sancho, who is the secretary-general of the General Alliance of Workers Associations, said.
“Don’t leave us waiting on the shores of nowhere. They’re making us fools. If they can’t inspect it, they should tell us so can we can also relay to the workers what the real score is,” he said.
He had also requested the Board earlier to write to the Bureau of Immigration in Western Visayas regarding the number of special working permits they had issued to the Chinese workers in the region.
He said the proliferation of Chinese workers in Western Visayas is very alarming, adding that Filipinos should be prioritized because the unemployment rate in the region is high.
Sancho said he will bring the concern again to the Board during their meeting this Friday.*
back to top