Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Friday, November 8, 2019
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

Negros raises more aid
for earthquake-hit areas
BY CARLA P. GOMEZ

 

More help from government, civic groups, and students in Negros Occidental and Bacolod City is being sent to earthquake-displaced residents of Mindanao.

Negros Occidental Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson said North Cotabato has already declared a state of calamity so it can start receiving aid from other Local Government Units.

Lacson said if the provincial government has the available funds, he is recommending that it give P1 million.

Civic clubs and the Philippine National Red Cross have also began raising and sending assistance to the earthquake hit areas, he said.

The governor urged more groups from the private sector to do their share to help the earthquake victims.

Meanwhile, the Negrense Volunteers for Change Foundation that began delivering Mingo meals to the children of North Cotabato since Saturday, has raised more assistance.

Mingo, that is produced at the NVC factory in Bacolod City is a nutritious instant complementary meal made of rice, mongo and malunggay.

Through the generosity of donors from around the Philippines and abroad, NVC has raised funds for 100,000 meals so far for the children of earthquake-hit Mindanao, its president, Millie Kilayko, said.

NVC has served earthquake victims in Makilala and Kidapawan in North Cotabato and was hitting Tulunan yesterday. It is also set to help earthquake victims in Bansalan and Magsaysay in Davao del Sur, she said.

Bacolod Tay Tung High School students have launched a Share 2Feed campaign for Mingo meals for children in earthquake stricken Mindanao and whatever they raise, will be matched by the Community Outreach Office of the school, she said.

Rhoderick Samonte, director for External Affairs of the Carlos Hilado Memorial State University, also informed her that they have a “piso piso campaign” for mingo meals to be sent to the earthquake hit areas, she added.

This who wish to help the campaign to help the children displaced by the earthquake in Mindanao may log on to https://www.nvcfoundation-ph.org/donate/ , Kilayko said.*

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonMilitant groups brace for more raids, arrests
ButtonArmy unfazed by call for House inquiry
ButtonReturn our children, parents ask
ButtonP46 SRP on refined sugar urged
ButtonProbe broadcaster’s slay: Duterte
ButtonPreservation of mask culture upheld
Button‘Drug-clearing rating nothing to be proud’
ButtonNegros raises more aid for earthquake-hit areas
ButtonJTF head new 3rd ID commander
ButtonCadiz police restricts 6 soldiers for 12 hours
ButtonGuv: Coffee shop eyed at Capitol Lagoon Park
ButtonIndian community to honor 10

Button‘We won’t allow illegal quarrying’
ButtonMigrant help desk up in EB Magalona