Enrolment in public schools in Bacolod City, both in elementary and high school, has dropped by more than 50 percent compared to that of last year, Bacolod Councilor Renecito Novero said yesterday.
Novero, chairman of the Sangguniang Panlungsod Committee on Education, said the drop in enrolment can be attributed to the fear of being infected by COVID-19, the modalities in teaching, or the financial aspect, considering that many businesses have been affected by the lockdown.
The total enrolment for school year 2919-2020 was 109,867 while that of school year 2020-2021 was only 49,321 as of yesterday, he said.
The enrolment in elementary for the previous school year was 67,690 while this year’s was 28,932, while enrolment for high school was 67,690 (2019-2020) and only 14,946 for 2020-2021, Novero said.
Enrolment for senior high school was 7,294 last school year and only 5,443 this year, he said.
Novero said he hopes that the schools remain open for enrolment since the opening of classes is still on August 24.*
back to top