BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN
Infrastructure projects damaged by flash floods two months ago in the third district of Negros Occidental will be repaired.
Rep. Jose Francisco Benitez and the Office of the Civil Defense 6 will spearhead a Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Recovery planning workshop this month, where affected local government units will finalize with concerned national agencies their priority rehabilitation programs.
Benitez hosted a meeting on Feb. 26, attended by the OCD 6 regional team, led by Jose Roberto Nuñez, with representatives from Victorias, Silay, Talisay, and EB Magalona that were affected by floods on Jan. 1 and Jan. 8, and agencies that can assist with the rehabilitation efforts.
Benitez said the convergence meeting focused on the requirements of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council to mobilize and allocate funding for immediate rehabilitation of damaged public works in the district caused by the flash floods.
He had earlier requested assistance from President Rodrigo Duterte in mobilizing government resources for vital infrastructure damaged by the flashflood, which also affected 20,530 families.
During the meeting, Nuñez told Benitez that the report on the damages he had submitted to the Office of the President was endorsed to the national and regional disaster risk management councils, for validation, assessment, and consideration for immediate action. E.B. Magalona, Silay, Talisay, and Victoroas have already submitted their respective lists of priorities, including critical areas of concern, to attain a resilient disaster response, including the need for rain gauges in monitoring and an early warning system, dredging of rivers and tributaries, slope protection, drainage master plan, repair of roads and bridges, identifying houses in disaster-prone areas, geo-tagging, relocation plan, comprehensive waste segregation and management plan, and massive reforestation in upland and midland areas with attention to livelihood opportunities for families.*