BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN
The provincial government of Negros Occidental is considering another moratorium on the arrival of Locally Stranded Individuals (LSIs) in the province.
This was disclosed yesterday by Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson as their request for a 15-day moratorium on LSI arrivals ends Saturday, August 22.
Because of the moratorium, Lacson said the quarantine facilities are being decongested of their occupants, that he also attributed to the fast releases of COVID-19 test results.
“If more LSIs come in, with local transmission, it will be very challenging and I hope that the national Inter Agency Task Force will again accede to our request, if there is a need to call for a moratorium,” he said.
While 50 percent of the more than 800 COVID-19 patients in Negros Occidental have already recovered, Lacson expressed concern over the local transmission of the virus.
He also justified the Capitol lockdown, which he said was a timely move, as they were able to identify and address the transmission of virus among some provincial government employees.
“I think face shields are now a must,” the governor said.
In response to reports in the social media that the Capitol is among the alleged dangerous places because of COVID-19, Lacson assured the public that it is safe to do business at the Provincial Capitol.
“But if you have no business, then of course, it is best not to go (there) anymore,” Lacson said, adding that this also holds true anywhere.
The Provincial Capitol had been placed on lockdown for disinfection and decontamination for five days last week after several of its employees tested positive for COVID 19.
“We closed it down, did contact tracing and identified those positive,” Lacson said.
“The mere fact that Monday your governor went to office, and continues to go to the office everyday, is an assurance to the public that it is safe to do business at the Capitol,” Lacson stressed.*