President Rodrigo Duterte has directed the National Bureau of Investigation to look into the killing of the provincial consultant for hospital operations in Negros Occidental last month, Malacañang said yesterday.
“The President strongly condemns the killing of Mariano Antonio Cui III, consultant for hospital operations of Negros Occidental and former chief-of-staff of Congressman Jules Ledesma,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a Palace press briefing.
Cui was gunned down in his hometown of San Carlos City on April 12. He was declared dead on arrival at a hospital due to two gunshot wounds.
Roque said Duterte has vowed that justice will be served for the death of Cui.
“The President has directed the NBI to investigate the killing and punish the perpetrator to give justice to the family of the victim,” he said.
Duterte also extended sympathies to the family, friends, and colleagues of Cui.
“The President extends condolences to the family and the people of Negros because we know that Mr. Cui is loved by the whole province of Negros,” Roque said.
Police investigation showed that Cui was hit by long-range shots while he was about to board his vehicle outside his office at Emerald Arcade on F.C. Ledesma Avenue, Barangay Palampas at around 8 p.m.
He was brought to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead by an attending physician.
The Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office has formed a special investigation task group to probe the incident. Cui’s brother, San Carlos City Councilor Mark Cui, has also requested the NBI to conduct a parallel investigation.*PNA