• GILBERT P. BAYORAN
The fireworks-related injuries in Negros Occidental further rose to 103, as the Department of Health reported that the province now ranks number one in terms of the number of cases, compared to other provinces and highly urbanized cities in the region.
Highly urbanized Bacolod City logged nine fireworks-related injury (FWRI) cases, records of the DOH- Western Visayas showed.
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Ma. Girlie Pinongan yesterday said that FWRI cases this year increased, compared to 72 last year in Negros Occidental.
Pinongan noted a spike in FWRI cases immediately after January 1, with most cases involving males with ages from 10 to 20 years old.
She attributed the increase in FWRI cases, despite the Iwas Paputok heightened campaign of DOH, to the hardheadedness of some people, especially teenagers, whom she described as daring.
DOH Western Visayas logged 294 FWRI cases, ranking 5th among the 17 regions in terms of the number of injuries.
Of the cases, blast or burns were cited as major causes of injuries, followed by eye injuries, DOH-WV records further showed.
Pinongan reported two cases of amputation in Negros Occidental.
DOH-WV further said that most cases involved kwitis, followed by boga, triangulo, camara, watusi, and others such as luces, pulbura, and improvised firecrackers.
Of the 294 cases, 13 have been recorded for amputation, while there was one death recorded from a non-sentinel site, the report added.
On the other hand, Pinongan also reported an increase in admission of patients in different government hospitals, not only for fireworks-related injuries, but also other medical cases, after the yuletide season celebrations.*