BY ADRIAN P. NEMES III
The Emergency Operations Center and the Business Permits and Licensing Office have launched an investigation on the reported holding of a pre-Valentine concert at a business complex behind the Bacolod Government Center.
Dr. Chris Sorongon, EOC deputy for medical and data analysis, said they want to identify those responsible for the event so they can be made to explain.
Sorongon said the pre-Valentine concert was held at the Market Place commercial complex Saturday and not at the BGC grounds itself, contrary to what had been circulated over the social media.
He said the BPLO did not grant any permit for the holding of such activity, adding that they will forward a report to the City Legal Office for action.
A video of the alleged concert made the rounds in the social media and Sorongon, who saw it himself, said he felt disappointed.
“The EOC is trying to put everything to new normal but things like this will put us in jeopardy because in any gathering like the pre-Valentine concert, a lot of people will be exposed, especially those who are at risk, to the coronavirus disease,” Sorongon said.
As citizens, everyone needs to play his or her role and be responsible, instead of just thinking about business and how to profit, he added.
“If we continue to negate our health protocols, it is not far-fetched that our cases will once again surge and will trigger another wave of lockdowns and stricter quarantine status,” Sorongon said.
NO NEW CASES
Over the weekend, Bacolod City had no new cases, and only had about 36 active cases in isolation facilities, as of yesterday.
Sorongon said the EOC wants to sustain this effort, hence they are persistent in reminding the people of their responsibility, adding that everybody should cooperate in order to sustain everything that the city had achieved in the fight against Covid-19.
On the proposed holding of night bazaar/market in Bacolod as an alternative livelihood for the more than 100 vendors displaced from the Libertad public market and the downtown area due to the ongoing road clearing operations, Sorongon said they need to see the proposal yet.
Although he is personally against the idea, Sorongon said he is still open to it, especially if the proponents can lay down their plan, ensure that there will be a one-exit, one-entrance policy, and the use of the BaCTrac system will be in place.
He said the vendors should also police their ranks and make sure that proper health protocols are followed. Executive assistant Ernie Pineda, who is also the cluster head on markets, said Monday that he will submit a proposal to the City Mayor’s Office to allow the affected vendors from Libertad public market to display their products from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., and 6 p.m. to midnight for vendors at the downtown area.*