Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email

Rebels claim responsibility for killing kagawad, 2 militiamen

BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN

The New People’s Army Leonardo Panaligan Command yesterday issued a statement claiming responsibility for the killing of a barangay kagawad they accused of being a military informant, and two government militiamen in Negros Oriental.

Ka JB Regalado, its spokesman, justified the killing of CAFGU member Cirilo Paderna, whom he accused of being instrumental in the successful operation of Army soldiers in Brgy. Bucalan, Canlaon City, where two revolutionary fighters died in 2012, while barangay kagawad Elmer Caratu and Jessie Silva served as government informants.

Regalado reported that Caratu died, while three other Army intelligence operatives of 94th Infantry Battalion managed to escape, during a partisan operation of the Leonardo Panaligan Command on Sept. 3 in Brgy. Nasunggan, La Libertad, Negros Oriental.

He claimed that Caratu, who he claimed had been serving as a commanding officer of a CAFGU unit stationed in Brgy. Tinayunan Hill, Guihulngan City, was also an active intelligence operative, while serving as a barangay kagawad of Nasunggan in La Libertad.

Regalado also admitted that their group was behind in the imposition of the death penalty on Silva, a former CAFGU member, on Aug. 18 in Sitio Bongao, Brgy. Trinidad, Guihulngan City, who also served as an active military informant of the 62nd Infantry Battalion.

The Army’s 303rd Infantry Brigade has condemned the atrocious attacks of the New People’s Army against a civilian and two CAFGU members in Negros Oriental. This inhumane act of the CPP-NPA terrorist group must be condemned to full extent, Brig. Gen. Inocencio Pasaporte, 303rd Infantry Brigade commander,said.

DESPERATE MOVE

It is a desperate move to kill innocent civilians which just shows that their senseless organization is now in continuing defeat in Negros, Pasaporte added.

 Paderna. 51, who was assigned at the Maglahos patrol base in Vallehermoso town, was shot dead by about 10 NPA rebels, who barged into his residence and shot him, in the presence of his family members, in Brgy. Pinocauan, Vallehermoso, Negros Oriental, Lt. Col. Melvin Flores, 62nd Infantry Battalion commander, said.

Recovered from the scene of incident were 10 spent shells and slugs of M16 assault rifle and caliber 45 pistol.

“We pity those NPA members whose spiritual and moral values have been destroyed by a senseless armed struggle and resort to this kind of violence, Pasaporte, who extended his sympathy to the Padernal family, said.

He added that the Philippine Army and National Police will assist the family in filing charges against the perpetrators.*

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email
ARCHIVES

Read Article by date

September 2021
MTWTFSS
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930 

Get your copy of the Visayan Daily Star everyday!

Avail of the FREE 30-day trial.