People aged 65 and above, who intend to join next year’s national elections, will be allowed to go out for the filing of Certificates of Candidacy in October, Malacañang said yesterday.
In a press statement, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said senior citizens who want to run for a national office would be recognized as Authorized Persons Outside of Residence (APOR) from Oct. 1 to 8.
This developed after the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases allowed Filipinos 65 years old and above to file their COCs before the Commission on Elections.
“The IATF allowed persons over the age of 65 to go out of their residences to personally file their certificates of candidacy in the national office and designated field offices of the Commission on Elections,” Roque, who also serves as IATF-EID spokesperson, said.
Their APOR classification beginning October will be acknowledged, regardless of the community quarantine classification imposed within their respective areas and their vaccination status, Roque said.
The Comelec has set the filing of COCs for all elective positions for the May 9, 2022 national and local elections from Oct. 1 to 8.
Persons 65 years old and above are currently prohibited from leaving their residences because of their vulnerability to the coronavirus disease 2019.
However, fully-vaccinated senior citizens residing in areas under the general community quarantine and modified GCQ are allowed to leave their homes.
The movement of fully-vaccinated seniors is limited to “travel within their zone,” as interzonal travel is still prohibited, except for point-to-point travel that was previously allowed.
Fully vaccinated senior citizens who wish to travel should present a duly-issued Covid-19 vaccination card and observe minimum public health standards.
A person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the second dose of the vaccine against Covid-19.*PNA