BY CHRYSEE G. SAMILLANO
About 70 public schools in Bacolod City are set to apply with the Department of Education for permit to resume limited face-to-face classes following the de-escalation of the city’s alert level status to Alert Level 1.
Dr. Chris Sorongon, Emergency Operations Center-Task Force deputy for medical data analysis and management, said all of these schools will be inspected by the EOC to determine if these are qualified or not to hold F2F classes based on their checklist.
Sorongon said that so far, only Mabini Elementary School has applied to hold limited F2F classes, aside from Alangilan National High School which has already resumed its F2F classes this month. They plan to expand to two more schools in Alangilan and in other schools.
Based on the guidelines of the EOC, all participating students including their immediate family should be vaccinated, as well as all the teachers and non-teaching personnel of the schools, he said.
“We issued the guidelines because we want to proceed with caution,” Sorongon said, adding that they are not discriminating anyone.
The guidelines of the DepEd states that the resumption of F2F classes should be concurred by the local government unit (LGU). And as far as the LGU is concerned, these are the pre-requisite for a school to open F2F classes, he said.
Sorongon said they are just trying to be careful. He cited for example that if Mabini Elementary School opens its F2F classes today, the barangay it belongs to should have zero cases for the last 20 days or else it cannot start its classes.
He said the Alert Level 1 status of Bacolod is only from March 1 to 15 and he hopes that Bacolodnons can show their cooperation in order to sustain the city’s alert level status throughout the Lenten Season or even after the elections*