Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email

Guv bans non-essential travel

BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN

The prohibition of non-essential travel of persons from Negros Oriental to Negros Occidental took effect yesterday, and will last until June 30, Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson said.

The enforcement of stricter border controls by the provincial government of Negros Occidental is part of its precautionary measures against the surge of Covid-19 cases in the province and in Negros Oriental.

“But for Iloilo, Panay, and Negros Occidental, we will keep it open,” Lacson said.

The Philippine Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Western Visayas had earlier recommended the closure of borders or ports of entry in Negros Occidental for non-essential travel for two weeks.

Negros Occidental remains under the Covid-19 low risk classification, while the highly-urbanized Bacolod City was classified as high risk by the Department of Health-Western Visayas.

Lacson, in an executive order, also called for a limitation on mass gatherings to 30 percent of the venue capacity, encouraged 18 years old and below to stay at home, and ordered a heightened inter-agency patrol of the Negros Occidental borders.

He also ordered the closure of all beaches, resorts, waterparks and similar recreational venues in Negros Occidental from June 23 to June 25, in line with the Feast of St. John the Baptist, in order to avoid Covid super-spreader activities.

The DOH 6 reported that Negros Occidental logged 2,379 active cases, while Bacolod City had 1,949 active infections, as of June 14.*

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email
ARCHIVES

Read Article by date

October 2021
MTWTFSS
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Get your copy of the Visayan Daily Star everyday!

Avail of the FREE 30-day trial.